14 March 2012

Dragon Hunting

Another Asia-inspired piece. This time sparked by a video of men hunting wolves with golden eagles in Mongolia. Mongolia has been cut from the itinerary of our upcoming trip due to time constraints, but I was so awed by the video I had to paint something.

In regards to the lighting I couldn't throw this up without an appreciative nod to James Gurney. I'm sure you are all aware of his awesome blog and incredible books. Well page 178 of Color and Light had a few great tips on 'Reverse Atmospheric Perspective' which helped me pull this together. Thanks buddy :)

















James Gurney
Hunting wolves with Eagles in Mongolia

4 comments:

  1. Jesus - Thats good. Love the translucent wings on the dragon. Well played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet bol!! looks like you have pre travel inspiration going on here :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, your avatars are eerily similar...
    Cheers! Yeah Stu, if I can tame me a real baby dragon in China, it will be one successful trip xD

    ReplyDelete